Ever since I turned thirteen, I have struggled with acne, and I know first hand how debilitating it can be to one’s self-esteem. Although I believe that it is a form of art and not a mask, it is impossible to overstate how much makeup has boosted my confidence, so today, I am sharing ten foundations that don’t make me break out as well a list of cosmetic ingredients to avoid if you have acne-prone skin.
Although I have always worked hard to take proper care of my skin, I am so appreciate of my parents for doing their absolute best to help me when it comes to my acne. In addition to paying for countless skin care products, they have taken me to several different dermatologists, and since I know that not everyone has this opportunity, I wanted to share the knowledge that I have gained from licensed professionals. My newest dermatologist recently gave me a list of 20 comedogenic (pore-clogging) ingredients, so I researched each one for you.
Avoid the following ingredients in cosmetics and skin care; they may cause acne when listed as one of the first three ingredients.
After learning more about some of the ingredients to avoid, I went through each of the foundations in my collection and carefully read the entire list of ingredients. I was thrilled to discover that none of the foundations I use contain any of the above acne-inducing substances as their first three ingredients — or anywhere else!
- L’Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation: light to medium coverage with a dewy finish
- L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation: medium-full coverage with a radiant finish
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation: medium coverage with a slightly luminous, satin finish
- Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Foundation: light, but buildable coverage with a skin-like matte finish
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation: medium coverage with a satin finish
- BareMinerals Original Foundation: light coverage with a matte finish
- Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation: lightweight, medium coverage with a luminous finish
- It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream: medium-full coverage with a long-lasting natural finish
- COOLA Rōsilliance Organic BB+ Cream: sheer coverage with a hydrating, dewy finish
- Garnier Skin Perfector BB Cream: medium coverage with a long-lasting, demi-matte finish
I spent a lot of time researching cosmetic ingredients for this post and truly hope you read at least one thing that you found made a difference. If you struggle with acne, please know that you are not alone and that you are so incredibly beautiful!